Thursday, May 12, 2016

Migas: All Day Every Day

Migas - eggs scrambled with crispy tortillas, garlic, jalapeño, and melted cheese served with black beans and avocado. Quick, easy, and SO DELICIOUS. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or brunch! | pinchofyum.com

MIGAS, friends.

True meaning of life? I found it right in the middle of that bowl of crispy tortilla strips with sautéed garlic and jalapeño and slow-cooked eggs all snuggled in with a handful of melted cheese. This is life and this is LOVE to the highest degree. This is migas.

Migas is what I’m eating ALL DAY EVERY DAY and I know I usually get all drama on you about this stuff in terms of how much I’m really obsessed with a recipe or how many times I’ve made it, but truly – out of the last 6 meals in my life, FIVE of them have been heaping bowls of migas.

Migas - eggs scrambled with crispy tortillas, garlic, jalapeño, and melted cheese served with black beans and avocado. Quick, easy, and SO DELICIOUS. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or brunch! | pinchofyum.com

Here’s the funny thing about migas – I’ve never had the real thing. I know I KNOW, fraud alert code red, but hang with me pleezzzz because I know, regardless of the authenticity factor, that these are SO superdelicious and worth making for your next breakfast (or brunch or lunch or dinner). Because migas: all day every day.

I didn’t actually eat the real migas myself, but Bjork went to Austin with friends a few weeks ago which seems to be the Migas Mecca of the U.S. You know when you try to get friends who aren’t that excited about food to talk about food with you and it starts to feel all CSI-obsessive-interrogation after a while? This is me talking to Bjork about Austin and migas. In a casual passing moment, he mentioned that migas tacos were his favorite meal from the trip and I completely pounced. There was a barrage of questions – what did they taste like? what was in them? meat or no meat? sauce or no sauce? potatoes?! really? what was their texture? why did you like them? – which was SUPER successful as you an imagine coming from someone who does not understand the lifelong obsession with food.

But it all worked out. I cross-referenced the few bits and pieces of information that I got with the recipes I found online, and then I just went for it.

Clueless? Yes.

Hungry and ready to forge my own migas way? Bigger yes.

Tortillas for Migas | pinchofyum.comMigas Ingredients | pinchofyum.com

The first time around was… ummm how should I say this… forgettable. The tortillas got completely mushy and I added mushrooms (SO SORRY) which made the whole thing very strange and we tried to put them in tacos and it just wasn’t anything amazing.

But the second time around? BOMB.COM.

I followed Sunny Anderson’s migas recipe trick where you actually fry your own tortillas first to make them super crispy and delicious (don’t panic – this is like a 5 minute endeavor) and then you just keep layering things into the pan, which, in my migas life includes: garlic. jalapeño. eggs. cheese. cilantro.

You serve that glorious meal up with some refried black beans, avocado, more cheese, or – yes, maybe in a taco? – and I’m telling you: MEANING. OF. LIFE.

I’m making this again for brunch with friends on Saturday and I am already hungry for it.

Migas. All day every day.

Migas - eggs scrambled with crispy tortillas, garlic, jalapeño, and melted cheese served with black beans and avocado. Quick, easy, and SO DELICIOUS. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or brunch! | pinchofyum.com

Migas: All Day Every Day
Author: 
Serves: 3
 
Ingredients
  • 1½ tablespoons butter
  • 1½ tablespoon oil
  • 5-6 small corn tortillas, cut into strips
  • 1 jalapeno, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 5 eggs, beaten
  • ½ cup shredded Pepperjack or other cheese
  • ½ cup chopped cilantro
  • black beans, Cotija cheese, salt, pepper, avocado, tomato salsa for serving
Instructions
  1. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tortillas and fry, stirring frequently, until very browned and crispy (see picture).
  2. Turn down the heat and let things cool down a little bit. Add the jalapeño and garlic. After a minute or two, add the eggs about ¼ cup at a time, pushing the eggs around gently in the pan after each addition until all eggs have been added and all the eggs are almost all fully cooked.
  3. Remove from heat (the eggs will finish cooking off the heat) and stir in the cheese and cilantro. Serve with all the usual suspects. Black beans, avocado, salsa, cheese, salt, pepper, or hot sauce.

 

The post Migas: All Day Every Day appeared first on Pinch of Yum.



from Pinch of Yum http://ift.tt/1OkLrmS

No comments:

Post a Comment